(Quick note for the weavers, I’ve updated my weaving post with pictures of new finished scarves: https://ilovesocks.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/working-without-patterns-weaving-skirt-and-scarves/)
This one is SO warm! I love the Homespun. I’ve made several shawls out of it and they are my carry- everywhere warmth in the summer when the air conditioning in public places always freezes me. And you can just throw them in the washing machine and not worry about felting.
For this sweater, I knitted a small square and got my gauge, then calculated how many stitches I’d need for all my parts. (See this post for help with that.)
Body: I cast on my hip amount, then worked upward going back and forth with some garter stitch at the bottom and edges to prevent curling. When I got to the armholes I split to a back and two fronts, and decreased to get my appropriate measurements for under the arm and over the shoulder. On the fronts, I kept my decreases in the rows next to the garter so my garter border would stay the same width. Then I bound off and seamed over the shoulders. Sleeves: I picked up the appropriate amount of stitches at the arm holes and made my sleeves. I just made tubes, no shoulder caps. For example: If you make your armholes about 8″ tall for a medium size sweater, you will want to pick up about 15-16 inches worth of stitches. Just past the shoulder, only a few inches in, I usually decrease a couple of inches to around 11-12 inches worth of stitches, then do most of the sleeve at around 11 inches. (This measurement will of course vary person to person, so you should measure your arm and use an amount you would find comfortable). I did garter at the wrists to foil curling. I did my sleeves back and forth on a short circular, so I made the seam at the bottom of the arm where it would be most hidden. When sleeves were long enough and bound off, I stitched up the side of the arms by pulling yarn loops through with a crochet hook.
Then I added the clasp with a needle and thread. I found the clasp pulled on the sweater too much, so I sewed a piece of felt on the back of the sweater behind both parts of the clasp to strengthen this area. I attached the felt by sewing around the edges, and added more sewing around the clasp to attach it to the felt. The piece of felt on the right is the most sturdy and doesn’t pull – I put rows of sewing throughout the area, and this seems to work best, so I will go back and do that to the piece on the left too. You can see in the top picture it pulls a little, but I don’t feel like its going to pull the sweater loose or stretch it out now.
Finished! It was a fairly quick sweater since I used a big yarn and such big needles. Now I kind of want to make a similar crazy sweater in one of those fun color changing Homespuns.
Yarn: LionBrand Homespun in Forest, and size 10 needles. My gauge: 3 stitches = 1″ on size 10 needles. Clasp: La petite #1056. If I remember right, I picked it up at Joann craft store.