Archive for January, 2010

This hat was knitted shortways with cables around the band (so that you stop when it’s long enough to fit around your head and seam it up to make a circle).  Then the stitches were picked up on circular or double pointed needles and decreased in a somewhat regular pattern every other row to make the stripey kind of thing on top (always knitting 2 together above where you knitted 2 together before).  It’s a “try it on as you go” hat!


When doing the sideways band, doing 2 knits at each end made a nice rim, and a nice divider between the crossways and the upward-going stitches, and also helped with easy pick up.


Read Full Post »

I love the way Noro yarn changes color, and I wanted this sweater to have big chunks of color in front instead of thinner stripes, so I put it together like a crazy woman!  I probably wouldn’t recommend this!  (Stitches are seed stitch on the bottom, garter on the edges to avoid rolling, stockenette for the rest.)

Front pieces knitted first, then connected together at the bottom with crochet, then started knitting up the back.

Front pieces knitted first, then connected together at the bottom with crochet, then started knitting up the back, to join at the shoulders.

First I knitted the two front panels, and I did them in artsy ways, (meaning not a straight line under the arm, a curvy thing I expected to be seen from the front.  It didn’t turn out that obvious though, but no harm done).  Crochet was added around the front in black.

Oh no!  Its a leeetle sweeeter!

Oh no! Its a leeeetle sweater!

After getting what is essentially a vest done, I realized it was way smaller than I had wanted, I had envisioned a baggier cardigan, not a bolero.  Did the Noro shrink, or did I just mess up and underestimate my own size?  Hmmm.  Well, anyway, that scratchy Noro really did get very soft after it was knitted!  If you aren’t buying anything because you think its too scratchy, the yarn shop lady is telling you the truth, it really does magically turn soft by some seemingly illogical method of physics that I don’t understand.

Back, yarn still attached, seed stitch at bottom to match the front

Back, yarn still attached, seed stitch at bottom to match the front

By December I had done the sleeves, quite baggy.  Oh, by the way if you wonder why I didn’t do the whole sweater in Noro, dat stuff’s expensive!  Doing the rest in plain black Patons wool allows me to make an affordable sweater that still looked neat and unusual.  Still not happy with the shortness though, so I started crocheting.


I was thinking it wasn’t going to look right though, so then I stuck knitting needles back in at the waist and started working downward in blocks of stockinette and blocks of seed stitch.  Then more crochet on the end.  Ultimately, the top part was still a big tight so I crocheted some more around the front, then did something oh so taboo – I dunked it in the tub and let it dry on a hanger.  Sing it with me!  A HAaAaAaAaAaAaANGEeEeEeEeEer!   While it did pull the top part around the neck pretty loose, I’m happier with it overall.  I did get a bigger sweater, finally!

And I sewed on cool little clasps, but oh no!  They pull, so I can’t wear it with them closed.  Maybe I can fix this by attaching some thick fabric or something to the back of the black button area.  Or moving the clasps further out on the front.  We’ll see, right now I’m just wearing it open because I’m so happy I’m finished!


In the back you can see the artsy bits I was doing under the arm, instead of in the front.  Oh well, its a little weird, but I don’t really mind.

You can see the artsy stuff I did for the side in the back instead of the front.  Oh well, a little weird but I don't really mind.

In the end, there’s a lot wrong with it, but its still a sweater that’s 100% wool, very warm, and a bit unusual.

Later:  On the inside of the sweater on the side with the loops, I added reinforcement by sewing on a piece of black fabric.


This allowed me to cut off the loops (carefully), and move them over to the side so I’d get better closing and the pulling wouldn’t look so bad. Now I need to do the same for the little rod things on the other side.


Yarn: Noro Kureyon, color #159.  Black is Patons 100% wool.

Read Full Post »